Thursday, August 19, 2010

recipe mania

Hi all,
I've been working on a bunch of recipes for Wealth Underground for a project called Your Garden Cookbook, which I am making with my friend Nicole. I'll let you know when it's done.
Meanwhile, I've been delighted with my surprise bags of goodies...
Oh what to do with the cabbage? I had an overdose of cabbage while living in Czech republic for 8 years.


The answer:
Pickle it!

Pickled Red Cabbage
Quarter and thinly slice a head of red cabbage into strips
Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of salt, cover and refrigerate for 2 days, turning occasionally
Drain liquid
‘Sterilize’ an XL canning jar- you can just rinse with boiling water if you’ll eat these fast (which you will)
Bring 1-1/2 quarts of rice vinegar with 1-1/2 quarts water to a boil (you can explore a variety of vinegars)
Meanwhile, layer cabbage with salt, coriander seeds, bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic cloves and star anise- a few teaspoons of each. You could add some sugar, too, if you like
Pour liquid over and cover
When cool, refrigerate for a day or two and enjoy a gorgeous pink zesty crunchy delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment